Jamboree on the Air 2018 is just around the corner. This is your club's six month warning to get ready for a successful JOTA 2018. JOTA 2018 will be the 61st annual event with over a million scouts from all over the world hitting the air waves. The dates for JOTA 2018 are October 19,20, and 21.
What does your club need to do in order to have a great JOTA program? It's simple.
- Open your club's radio room, or a club member's hamshack to use by scouts on Saturday October 20th.
- Provide atleast two operators to help man the radios for your agreed upon time slots.
- JOTA is occuring on almost all bands, including digital modes, and VHF/UHF via EchoLink/IRLP/DStar/DMR
What can your club do to bring a little extra to ensure a great event?
- Have your county or state Department of Homeland Security bring out their communications trailer.
- Give away free weather radios
- Dress up your radio room with the ARRL posters aimed at youth, or even setup a youth lounge!
- Teach the Radio Merit Badge onsite
- Have information about an upcoming Technician Class ready to go
Be sure to reach out to your local Boy Scouts of America Council or district representative to adverstise your stations availability for the event. Most units will want to hang out and operate for approximately an hour or so. You or your club could easily get several scouting units through the station in a single day. Talk about a great chance for positive PR, and recruiting interested youth into the hobby.
Reach out to your ARRL resources if you need any help putting together your JOTA 2018 event!