Technical Specialists

By AK9R, 4 October, 2023

For a section team to be effective in one of the most important arenas in Amateur Radio, technology, there must be a cadre of qualified, competent Technical Specialists (TS). "Advancement of the radio art" is a profound obligation we incur under the rules of the FCC. TSs help meet this obligation.

Appointment by the Section Manager (SM), or Technical Coordinator (TC) under delegated authority from the SM, the TS supports the TC in two main areas of responsibility: Radio Frequency Interference, and Technical Information. TS can specialize in certain specific technical areas, or can be generalists.

Requirements: Novice class license or higher; Full ARRL membership.


  • Serve as a technical advisor to local hams and clubs. Correspond by telephone and letter on tech topics. Refer correspondents to other sources if specific topic is outside TS's knowledge.
  • Serve as advisor in radio frequency interference issues. RFI can drive a wedge in neighbor and city relations. It will be the TS with a cool head who will resolve problems. Local hams will come to you for guidance in dealing with interference problems.
  • Speak at local clubs on popular tech topics. Let local clubs know you're available and willing. 
  • Represent ARRL at technical symposiums in industry; serve on CATV advisory committees; advise municipal governments on technical matters. 
  • Work with other ARRL officials and appointees when called upon for technical advice, especially in emergency communications situations where technical prowess can mean the difference in getting a communications system up and running, the difference between life and death. 
  • Handle other miscellaneous technically-related tasks assigned by the Technical Coordinator.
  • Recruitment of new hams and ARRL members is an integral part of the job of every ARRL appointee. Appointees should take advantage of every opportunity to recruit a new ham or member to foster growth of Field Organization programs, and our abilities to serve the public.

If you have questions or would like to discuss becoming a Technical Specialist in Indiana please send an email to Thomas Busch WB8WOR